Renting a property for the first time can be daunting, this is especially true in the current climate where property stock levels seem to be at an all-time low.
Listed below are our top tips to make your property search and move day as straightforward as possible!
- Register with local agents and try to build up a rapport with them, hopefully they will call you first when new properties coming on!
- Setup property alerts on the major national websites, Rightmove, On the market and Zoopla.
- If you are relocating to an area, arrange a day to view properties and the day before call all the agents to arrange viewings. Don’t book too far in advance as 9 times out of 10 the property will be gone by the time you get to view it.
- Once you secure a property make sure you fill out your reference form and any other paperwork, this will hopefully avoid any delays and ensure you pass all checks
- Request a sample tenancy agreement so you can read through it prior to signing then if you have any questions, you can ask the agent in advance
- Arrange the final payment to the agent for your month in advance and deposit. As a large amount of money your bank may need notice to action the payment so do in advance.
- Remember to update everyone with your change of address, eg Bank, employer, HMRC
- Take final meter readings at your current property and then opening ones at your new property so you can update utility companies (Gas/Water/Electric). Also don’t forget council tax, TV license and telephone/broadband.
- Setup a Home contents insurance policy for your new property
- When moving into your new property go through the inventory and ensure you agree with what has been noted down, if there are amendments ensure you advise the agent along with any maintenance issues.
If you are looking to move within the Brighton, Hove, and surrounding area we would love to help you secure your new home so please get in touch! 01273 321333 option 1 or register online https://www.propertymoves.co.uk/tenants/register-with-us/